Thursday, August 18, 2005

People Everyday With Everyday Thighs


I have mentioned before how unimpressed I was with Dove's latest campaign, and the other morning, the trend of using "real people" in ads was discussed on the Today show. Katie Couric interviewed Donny Deutsch and Mary Lou Quinlan , CEO of Just Ask A Woman. I missed the first few minutes of the segments, but they were probably discussing this article in the New York Times too.

Nike has "jumped on the bandwagon" too.

Whatever....

I'm unimpressed for several reasons. First and foremost, I tend to find that ads targeting "real women" are rather patronizing, especially when they use buzz words like "goddess" or "empowerment" or knock men in some way. I'm bored with the whole "I am woman, hear me roar" thing anyway. Women have been roaring for centuries. Besides, as much as I live for beauty products, they do not empower me. Unless, of course, we're talking Creme de la Mer. Creme de la Mer is empowering. Creme de la Mer will change your life. Viva la Creme de la Mer!

Whoa! Pardon me...

Speaking of $1200 moisturizer -- call me crazy, but $7 "firming" cream is a joke . Nivea barely gets away with it in the $10 range. I mean, if you're going to entertain the notion of using one in the first place buy a good one. The "Thunder Thighs" in the Nike ad could be mine and, as an ex-beauty writer, I have used tons of beauty products in all price ranges and I find that you get what you pay for. Cheap cellulite creams are like cheap haircuts: they don't work and they are more expensive in the long run.

Also, I have to say that the trend of using real people in ads (with one token minority "real person" of course) reminds me of the epiphany cosmetics companies had in the nineties (Hey, black women wear makeup! Wait -- I've got an idea -- let's sell it to them!)

Puh-leeze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home