Saturday, January 21, 2006

Nichelles du Monde


And to think... there was a time when I thought that I was the only little black girl in the whole wide world that was named after Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek.

Ha!

There's another blogging Nichelle, who's a lot better about blogging than I am. She also produces comedy shows and is a cupcake connoisseur -- a Nichelle after my own heart. There is the novelist Nichelle D. Tramble. I remember getting a little thrill the first time I saw one of her books in a bookstore (it was probably her first, The Dying Ground.) She also blogs.

There is a Nichelle doll (yes, I own one) and a Nichelle song (to the Original Nichelle, but shout out to The Dirtbombs anyway.)

I don't know about the other Nichelles, but I tried a few nicknames on for size during my formative years (Nicki, Nia.....nothing stuck.) Every Nichelle is saddled with "Michelle" at least twice a day (or even all day every day!) If I had a nickle for every time I said "It's Nichelle, 'N' like Nancy," I swear I would make Bill Gates look like a poor man. People will spell Nichelle any old way and pronounce it wrong, Wrong, WRONG (Ny-chelle? Nee-chelle?) Unless you have a legitimate French accent, do not say Nee-chelle -- would you call a Michelle Mee-chelle? I didn't think so...

Contrary to popular belief, the original Nichelle did not begin her career with Star Trek. She sang with legends like Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton before landing on the series. She didn't have it easy in her groundbreaking role: her mail was thrown out and her lines were cut regularly -- but she didn't quit because Dr. King himself persuaded her to stay. And thank goodness he did. While some of us got her name, Dr. Mae Jemison names Nichelle as her inspiration for becoming an astronaut.

Talk about out of this world!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nichelle said...

Hi Nichelle!

My name is Nichelle, too. Reading your blog was fun. It was if I wrote it 'cause I have the same problems...Nee-chelle, Ni-Kell, Ni-kelly, etc. LOL!

Good to meet you.

February 13, 2006 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Same to you Nichelle! Thanks for stopping by.

February 14, 2006 at 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Nichelle said...

Wow, I say N like Nancy too!

I'm a Nikki, though, I didn't really get to become Nichelle until I moved out of my parent's house and started introducing myself as Nichelle.

BTW, I have two of those Nichelle Dolls.

April 5, 2006 at 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home