Friday, March 24, 2006

Working Up A Black Sweat

Eye am not even going 2 go in 2 how much of a Prince fan eye am except 2 say that in high school eye wrote like this in my diary and managed 2 convince my strings teacher (eye played the viola) 2 incorporate The Beautiful Ones in 2 our recital. Oh, and my mother almost kicked my natural black behind when she heard Darlin' Nikki blasting from my bedroom. Eye feigned ignorance and lived 2 C the Dawn!

Anyway...


In the interest of preserving my sexy forever and ever, I have decided to put myself on blast and tell the world that I am officially getting my workout routine back on. I need to get some motivation from somewhere because I am not playing! I just downloaded Prince's new single Black Sweat to go along with the rest of my iTunes workout playlist. Like to hear about it? Here it go!


1. Golden by Jill Scott (3:51)

Hey-a-a, Oh-o-o! This is my warm-up song because I want to be beautifully human in every way. (Okay, I can admit that was corny...)





2
. Another Star by Stevie Wonder (8:22)

I don't know why but this song just sends me, always has. I can be on the treadmill forever with this on repeat.



3. Jingo by Santana (9:40)


This song is in my blood thanks to an Afro-Brazilian aerobics class that I took about a million years ago. Talk about working up a black sweat!



4. La Negra Tiene Tumbao by Celia Cruz (4:15)


You don't know La Negra? Ay Dios Mio! This song is so hot I nearly lost my mind the first time I heard it. It is impossible to be still when this is on! Loosely translated, La Negra Tiene Tumbao means "The Black Girl's Got It," so you know I'm workin' it when this is on.

Azucar!



5. Groove Me by Guy (4:34)

This was my jam back in the day! And what's a decent workout without a little New Jack Swing?


6. Touch The Sky by Kanye West (5:33)

Come up in the spot looking extra fly --
That's the plan!



7. It's Like That by Mariah Carey (3:23)

Them chickens is ash and I'm lotion. I've always wanted to say that somewhere...



8. The Glamorous Life by Sheila E. (9:03)

This here's my theme music y'all! You just don't understand... "She wants to lead the glamorous life" was the caption in my high school yearbook. "She wants to lead the glamorous life" is the caption in the fictional high school yearbook of the protagonist in my novel.

I was 14 when The Glamorous Life came out and of course, when you are 14, you assign all kinds of meaning to songs that mean a lot to you for reasons that you're not exactly sure of yet, but you just know it's you! This is me.





9. Don't Speak by Leela James (4:46)

Man, I nearly fell over when I heard this one. I can barely even remember what Gwen Stefani's original sounds like anymore and I love her!

Anyway, this is the song that starts my cool-down (and not a moment too soon!)




10. Enchantment by Corinne Bailey Rae (3:58)

I'm telling y'all, this girl is bad. Mark my words!


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Cocoa Girl said...

Nice list, Nichelle. You know my iPeezy has all of those Old School joints from my post yesterday and then some!

I don't think I can make it through a workout with only modern music.

March 24, 2006 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks Cocoa.

You know, if you have the Old School joints in your iPeezy (haha) then you already have modern music because all they do is sample the old stuff anyway!

Notice how Prince doesn't let anyone sample anything! They better not mess with my man -- we don't want him scrawling 'slave' across his cheek again...

March 24, 2006 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

ooh no you didn't pull out the Celia Cruz...that's my girl right there but I don't have that song. i'm gonna have to cop it and put it on my Ipod!

you got some sweet joints...nice!

March 26, 2006 at 2:12 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Girl, you will not be sorry -- La Negra is bad!

March 26, 2006 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

i guess it goes without saying that the Glamorous Life had an influence on Glamazon Life:-)

March 26, 2006 at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home