Monday, April 03, 2006

If I Had Time, I Would Read These Books

Wild Stars Seeking Midnight Suns by J. California Cooper

I probably won't be able to resist this for long because I love J. California Cooper's work, especially her stories. This is a collection about yet more women in search of satisfaction, usually in the wrong places. I haven't read J. California in a long time, so this will be a real treat for me. She was featured in Essence not long ago (looking great at 70) and she still won't tell anyone what the "J" stands for.




A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown.

First of all, I love that Cupcake is her legal name. She was on Tavis Smiley the other day, and she's got a good reason for having it. I also remember reading about her a while back in Oprah's magazine. After her mother died when she was eleven, Cupcake's life spiraled into a nightmare of sexual abuse, prostitution, gangs and drugs. The book follows her journey from that hell to her current life as an attorney at one of the top firms in the country.




The Joy of Doing Things Badly by Veronica Chambers

Veronica Chambers wants us to take all of the shame and guilt trips that come when we blow it in life and trade it in for "foolish bravery." Hey, I'm game. Veronica is one of the most accomplished and well-rounded writers around (aside from her books, she's written for television) so I am curious to see where she finds any joy in doing things "badly."




My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman

Elinor Lipman is one of my favorite novelists, so anytime she releases a book, I'm generally on it - but even she's got to wait. My plate is full with writing and working and I will be back in school in the summer because I have every intention of finishing my degree in the 21st century. Also, I tend to read books that are related to the project I am working on, so I don't have much time to read for pleasure. But, I know me, I'll probably sneak this in too, right after I finish J. California Cooper.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mrs A. said...

dah-ling, im TAGGING you, check my post for today :-D

April 3, 2006 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Oooh, my first tag - be there in a minute...

April 3, 2006 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Cocoa Girl said...

Girl...I love the concept of that Veronica Chambers book and her cover. I hope it does well.

I have not been able to read for leisure in over one year... sniffle, sniffle.

April 3, 2006 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

ooh i am soo addicted to books it's weird. I'm currently plotting on what I can do to fit more books into my house, while realizing that I'm gonna have to stop loaning books out to folks because they are expensive!

I haven't read J California Cooper in ages, I may have to check her out, after Paul Beatty, James Frey and my boy Taalam's latest novel

April 3, 2006 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Cocoa: I hope Veronica's book does well too. It sounds like fun.

Miss Ahmad: I learned not to "lend" books a long time ago. If I want someone to have a book, I just give it to them!

April 3, 2006 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger Cocoa Girl said...

BTW, I was sad last night...got shot down by an agent...

Having to replace my first one (looong story not worth repeating) and the whole process has been rather interesting.

The most-recent chick wanted me to make my book a cross of a popular white book (surprise, surprise) and a popular, totally unrelated black book.

Thought that shyt only happened in the movies...sigh...

April 4, 2006 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

I wouldn't worry about it Cocoa. Sounds like that agent did you a favor. It's more important to have the right one.

April 4, 2006 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Cocoa Girl said...

True. If the ladies of the publishing industry weren't so vindictive, I would start a blog about the interesting points of trying to get published.

April 4, 2006 at 12:36 PM  
Anonymous nichelle said...

I don't really have much to say, I was just blog jumping, and tripped out when I read your profile because my name is Nichelle, I am a scorpio and a writer, and a lot of the books you like I like too.

I'm from Detroit and my b-day is
11/19.

I'm not an e-stalker, just triping that there is another Nichelle besides me and Nichelle Nichols from Star Trak.


White Oleander was like the "white" Coldest Winter Ever to me.

April 4, 2006 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hahaha! Another Nichelle! And a writer to boot!

Well, welcome. I'm originally from NJ and my birthday is 10/25.

Be sure to check out my Nichelles Du Monde post about myself and the other Nichelle's I've find online.
Believe me, we are not alone!

http://anovelista.blogspot.com/2006/01/nichelles-du-monde.html

April 4, 2006 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger Veronica Chambers said...

Thanks for the kind words, Nichelle. The margins are pretty big on "Joy of Doing Things Badly" so it shouldn't take any time at all :)

April 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks for stopping by Veronica - and good luck with the book!

April 4, 2006 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

oooh no you didn't mention White Oleander. I'm still mad they messed up that book with a whack ass movie.

That book read like pure poetry to me, one of my all time classics!

Cocoa, sorry to hear about your agent. Check out my boy Shikow's blog, he talks allot about publishing and agent stuff.

If I could just make up my mind of what my book is gonna be I would be in better shape!

April 5, 2006 at 2:45 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

White Oleander is just outrageous isn't it? I mean, it's a thing of beauty.

Good luck with your book Miss Ahmad - let it marinate a little (but not forever!) It'll come.

April 5, 2006 at 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home