Monday, April 10, 2006

Is There A Musical Revolution Going On?

Probably not. But it's a nice thought isn't it?

Anyway, Happy Monday people!

Sorry I've been away for a few days, but you know how it is - bidnezz needed to be handled.

I ask the "musical revolution" question because Pink will be on Oprah today to talk about her new song "Stupid Girls," (What happened to the dreams of a girl president, she's dancing in the video next to 50 Cent, They travel in packs of two or three, with their itsy bitsy doggies and their teeny-weenie tees.) Then, I just innocently stop by my blogbud Juicy's site and she is playing this video by a Canadian singer (pictured) named Esthero (I'm so sick and tired of the sh*t on the radio and MTV they only play the same thing no matter where I go I see Ashanti in the video, I want something more)

I would say the first inkling I had of any of this was Leela James' "Music" (Somebody play on the guitar strings, Makes me think of my favorite songs, Reminds me of when I heard Aretha sing, Gladys, Tina and Chaka Khan, Can't go back to yesterday, but we can put the thongs away) I've been really impressed with Corinne Bailey Rae of course and Anthony Hamilton and John Legend are out there, so I don't know about a revolution per se, but I definitely think that genuine singing voices and musical instruments (not just machines) are definitely coming back with a vengeance - and not a moment too soon.

In other news, LL Cool J is 11 albums into his 21 year career with 27 top 20 singles and he's still looking damn good. It's hard to believe that he is the father of teenagers now (geez!)

Also, I have been captive to yet another VH1 Soul rotation, this time featuring Amel Larrieux, which is a good thing. Her new song"Weary" is typical of the good quality she always brings.

Speaking of Amel, I had no idea that her mother was the dance critic and Temple University professor Brenda Dixon Gottschild. Now I can see where she gets her ethereal qualities from. Dr. Dixon Gottschild is the author of several books including one you probably see all the time in bookstores, The Black Dancing Body: A Geography from Coon to Cool, a book where she discusses two of my favorite topics: dance and race.

FYI: The man in the picture with the professor is her husband Helmut, a noted choreographer. Don't know if he is Amel's dad though.


Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Cocoa Girl said...

Nice post, Nichelle! You're so on the music! Happy Monday!

April 10, 2006 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks Cocoa, Happy Monday right back atcha!

April 10, 2006 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger mrpunchcar said...

happy monday! enjoyed ur blog. hey! your site looks just like mine. i'm gonna have to ask u to change it! :)

April 10, 2006 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

ooh girl i got music on my mind as well. have you checked out the new Van Hunt-Jungle Floor, or Fishscale? I gotta get into those two this week!

April 11, 2006 at 1:50 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hey Glam,

No, I haven't heard Fishscale, but I have heard Van Hunt and I saw him on Leno the other night - love him...

April 11, 2006 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Juicy77 said...

Hey Nichelle,

Thanks for the shout-out! Excellent post btw.
I feel so strongly about how African-Americans and Americans in general are portrayed in videos and film. Like Angela Bassett said in this month's Ebony, people all over the world form their perceptions of us based on what they see in the movies [and, I would add, videos] broadcasted around the world. But don't get me started because this would take up your entire comments section!

I think I'll play Leela James for you this week. :o)

I have a plane to catch, but I'll try to get the video up before I go.

April 11, 2006 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks for dropping by Mr. Punchcar. Checked out your blog and you no you ain't right (hahaha)

And Juicy - thanks a lot. Enjoy that Leela!

April 11, 2006 at 11:34 AM  
Anonymous lilkunta said...

Excellent post! Leela James is sooo slept on. She has a ew cd coming on on Shanachie records. It is a standard/cover cd. Check it out.

No Hellmut ant Amel's dad.
You know Amel is rom that Philly Soul scene. She went to high school w Ahmir(?love from roots); in fact they went to prom together.

May 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home