Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Oprah Loves Akeelah and the Bee


No surprise there - I just hope that it translates to Akeelah taking the #1 spot at the box office this weekend! I will also be very interested to see what happens around awards season. Unlike some of the last truly quality black films that we've had (Lackawanna Blues, Something The Lord Made, Boycott, Introducing Dorothy Dandridge) Akeelah and the Bee is a theatrical release - not a cable television movie, which means that it is eligible for Academy Award consideration for Best Picture. KeKe Palmer is eligible for Best Actress and Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne are eligible in the supporting actor categories. They are also eligible for the SAGs (Screen Actor's Guild) and the Golden Globes, so it's going to be very interesting considering last year's pimptastic Oscar ceremony. I think we can safely predict that they've got the NAACP awards locked down and can begin their wardrobe selections now.

On a side note, I just love how Laurence Fishburne told the audience about how he called Oprah and begged her to have them on. He didn't try to "front" for a minute!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Frog Kisser said...

my uncle spent time with larry fishburne and the cast and fishburne really seems to believe that this film has the power to infuse some positive images into the community!

i've not been to the movies in ages, but i may have to check this one out!

April 25, 2006 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

You know what I think would be a great idea? If people got together and took groups of kids to see this film: mentors/mentees, aunts and uncles taking their nieces and nephews. I think it would be a start - nothing is a complete panacea, but I think it is undeniable that people are especially affected by films that they see when they are young. Look at the people who look back at films like "American Graffiti" or "Mahogany" with a certain fondness.

Judging by the clips, it's not exactly sugar-coated either! I'll be going to see it on Sunday night, so I'm sure I'll blog about it yet one more time - especially concerning the films box office position!

April 25, 2006 at 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heart oprah. *smiles* okay back to the topic...i havent been to movies since harry potter i think. glad to see a movie with a black cast that doesnt involve violence. this should def. be a "field trip" movie for elem. schools. cant wait to see it.
-dareal

April 25, 2006 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

I dont' blame you - there haven't been many movies worth spending 8 to 10 bucks on (depending on which area of the country you're in.)

April 26, 2006 at 1:18 AM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

I am going to go try to see it this weekend! I really hope that Keke Palmer wins an award . . . she is such a talented girl. (Loved her in Madea's Family Reunion!) I'm sure that there are young performer awards that she'll be eligible for . . . even if not, you know the Image Awards will hook her up! *lol*

April 26, 2006 at 11:41 PM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

BTW, I love the new layout . . . no problems whatsoever!

April 26, 2006 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

BTW, I love the new layout . . . no problems whatsoever!

April 26, 2006 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks Glib - and I agree re: KeKe

April 27, 2006 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

I missed them on Oprah-
but I surly want to see this movie.
I haven't been in soooo long, but I will do this one!

P.S. HI NICHELLE!!! :)

April 27, 2006 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hi Diva!!! :)

April 27, 2006 at 3:12 PM  
Anonymous dpm said...

If Oprah hosted the crew, I guess I gotta go see it. I hope it's all that. I'm so down for great Black flicks!

dpm

April 27, 2006 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Same here DPM. Thanks for stopping by!

April 28, 2006 at 4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home