Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Soundtrack Of My Life


I was going to post this last week, but I think we all know by now that Blogger called out sick! (@#&%$!)

Anyway...

Ms. Supa Sister had an excellent post about the songs that formed the soundtrack to her life and I was inspired to write down some of the songs that I couldn't write in her comment section. With all of the Blogger drama, I feel like I've been writing this all week, but oh well. Here we go, with a warning - this is the longest post I've ever written in my life!



Chapter 1: We Don't Need No Ed-u-ca-tion! 1975 to 1980
  1. It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday by G.C. Cameron - OMG! I remember crying when this song came on in Cooley High. I still tear up when I hear it!
  2. You Send Me and Running Away by Roy Ayers (I used to sing "Scooby Doo! Fun, Fun, Fun!" LOL!!)
  3. You and I by Rick James
  4. Jammin' and I Shot The Sheriff by Bob Marley - I can remember very distinctly the first time I heard Bob Marley because it was the first time that I heard reggae music period.
  5. You Remind Me and Forget Me Nots by Patrice Rushen
  6. Stomp, Strawberry Letter 23 by The Brothers Johnson
  7. P-Funk, Mothership Connection, One Nation Under A Groove by Parliament - Make my funk the P-Funk! I wants ta get funked up!
  8. Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker), Flashlight by Parliament - Get up off the funk!
  9. One Nation Under A Groove by Funkadelic - This is my phone ring!
  10. Don't Ask My Neighbors and Best of My Love by The Emotions
  11. Betcha By Golly Wow by Phyllis Hyman
  12. Saturday Night Fever soundtrack by The Bee Gees
  13. Le Freak by Chic - Freak out! Le Freak, Ce'st Chic!
  14. Songs In The Key Of Life, Talking Book by Stevie Wonder
  15. Shake Your Body Down To The Ground by The Jacksons - Let's Dance! Let's Shout!

  16. Changed, I Love the Lord, I'm Not The Same and Goin' Up Yonder by Walter Hawkins
  17. Jesus I Love You by Tramaine Hawkins
  18. Got To Give It Up by Marvin Gaye - I remember my sister and I peeking out of our bedroom door at our parents and their friends dancing to this record. Of course, we were busted and carted off to bed!
  19. Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 by Pink Floyd - We Don't Need No ED-U-CAY-SHUN!
  20. That's The Way of the World, Sing A Song, Reasons, After the Love is Gone, Fantasy, Can't Hide Love and 99% of everything else by Earth, Wind & Fire.
  21. Footsteps in the Dark, Hello It's Me, Voyage To Atlantis, Make Me Say It Again Girl, For the Love of You and 99% of everything else by The Isley Brothers - Grown folks music!



Chapter 2: Are You There God? It's Me, Nichelle! - 1980 to 1983

  1. Rock With You by Michael Jackson - Michael, Michael, Michael...
  2. Rapture by Blondie - the first record I ever bought!
  3. Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang
  4. I Like It, Time Will Reveal and All This Love by DeBarge
  5. Behind the Groove, Square Biz, Portuguese Love by Teena Marie
  6. Pull Up To The Bumper by Grace Jones
  7. I'm So Into You by Peabo Bryson
  8. Never Too Much by Luther Vandross
  9. All I Do, Rocket Love, Master Blaster by Stevie Wonder
  10. Lady In My Life, PYT, Billie Jean, Thriller by Michael Jackson - Michael, Michael, Michael
  11. Sexual Healing, The Star Spangled Banner and EVERYTHING else by Marvin Gaye - Marvin, Marvin, Marvin...
  12. Everybody by Madonna
  13. Whip It by Devo - Crash that whip!
  14. Sara Smile and I Can't Go For That by Daryl Hall & John Oates
  15. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
  16. Between the Sheets by The Isley Brothers
  17. The Message and White Lines by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
  18. International Lover, Lady Cab Driver, by Prince
  19. Let's Dance by David Bowie
  20. Zoom by The Commodores - I may be just a foolish dreamer, but I don't care...




Chapter 3: How Could You Just Leave Me Standing Alone In A World So Cold? 1984 to 1989


  1. Purple Rain album, etc. by Prince - Gee, have I mentioned him on this blog before?
  2. You Give Good Love, Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston - Whitney, Whitney, Whitney...
  3. I Wonder If I Take You Home by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
  4. Smooth Operator, Your Love Is King, Is It A Crime by Sade
  5. Sweet Love, Caught Up in the Rapture by Anita Baker
  6. Whip Appeal by Babyface
  7. I Want To Thank You (Heavenly Father) by Alicia Meyers
  8. Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
  9. Groove Is In The Heart by Dee-Lite
  10. The Best Is Yet To Come by Grover Washington and Patti LaBelle
  11. Make It Last Forever and I Want Her by Keith Sweat
  12. Private Dancer (album) by Tina Turner
  13. Word Up, Candy and Back and Forth by Cameo
  14. Nite and Day by Al B. Sure!
  15. Between the Sheets by The Isley Brothers
  16. The Reflex by Duran Duran
  17. Borderline by Madonna
  18. Control, Alright, When I Think of You by Janet Jackson
  19. True by Spandau Ballet
  20. Tainted Love by Soft Cell



Chapter 4: Groove Is In The Heart 1990-1998

  1. Optimistic by Sounds of Blackness
  2. Back to Life and Keep On Movin' by Soul II Soul
  3. Never Stop and Stay That Way by The Brand New Heavies
  4. Latifah's Had It Up 2 Here by Queen Latifah
  5. Around the Way Girl by LL Cool J
  6. Gypsy Woman by Crystal Waters
  7. Red Light Special, Kick Your Game, Creep by TLC
  8. I Want To Thank You (Heavenly Father) by Alicia Meyers
  9. Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
  10. Groove Is In The Heart by Dee-Lite
  11. Back and Forth by Aaliyah
  12. Living In Confusion by Phyllis Hyman
  13. Heaven by BeBe and CeCe Winans
  14. Let the Praise Begin, No Weapon, Jesus Be A Fence by Fred Hammond
  15. Dreamin' by Christopher Williams
  16. Let the Beat Hit 'Em by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
  17. Tell Me by Groove Theory
  18. Sumthin' Sumthin by Maxwell
  19. Ex-Factor by Lauryn Hill
  20. My Life by Mary J. Blige
  21. The Only One For Me by Brian McKnight
I think I'll stop here. I could go on all night (and I have!)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Nichelle said...

I realize that I put "Between the Sheets" and "Groove is in the Heart" twice, but man... I got tired of cutting and pasting and Blogger is still tripping!

June 11, 2006 at 5:20 AM  
Blogger Supa said...

Hey Nichelle!!

I'm sooo lovin' your soundtrack! Ya know, I think I did myself a dis-service by trying to keep mine to a "reasonable minimum." I mean, the list could go on and on... (a buddy of mine has like 21 Volumes on his life soundtrack) :)

Some of the ones I LOVE right along with you: Forget Me Nots, One Nation Under A Groove, The Wall, I Like It (them Debarge's were foine, way back when...), Rocket Love, I Can't Go For That by Hall & Oates (Loved! Them!) - you know, 20 years later, and I still can't figure out "what he can't go for..." LOL!!

Oh - and Living In Confusion by Phylis Hyman. GIRL. Say no more. (so sad)

This list is great. Loved your title chapters, too. Now you need to burn them to your Ipod, or to some CD's, and enjoy listening to the sound of YOU.

Kinda cool, isn't it!!

June 11, 2006 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hey Supa!

I definitely understand you about keeping the list to a "reasonable minimum." That's what I thought I was doing! LOL!

And you know DeBarge was so fine back in the day! I think my favorite was Randy.

And Phyllis... Lord, Lord. I remember walking by her apartment building in NYC on the day of her funeral and seeing the limos and people outside. I couldn't listen to Phyllis for YEARS after she died.

Oh, and believe it or not, I don't have an iPod yet. But I have over 1200 songs in my iTunes on my laptop - including 90% of the soundtrack of my life!

June 11, 2006 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

so i'm not crazy...blogger is trippin' sometimes...i knew i wasn't loosing my damn mind...nice songs by the way...

June 13, 2006 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix aka ThatGirlTam said...

Dang, I would attempt to do this list, but there are SEVERAL years of my life that are a blur...lol

June 13, 2006 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

This is the best soundtrack EVER!!!
I can tell that we a music Sistas!!
Gurl you just don't KNOW!!!
I'm not going to EVEN try this list...
just live amd remember through yours :)
I love R& B girls like us!

June 13, 2006 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Rune said...

I love r&b girls like you two too...

June 15, 2006 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

@Sarccastik - Thanks, and you were definitely not losing your mind about Blogger!

@Phoenix - I don't blame you! I had fun, but it took forever - and I had a few accidental repeats. But it was too much trouble to go back and keep messing with it!

@Sangin Diva - Yeah girl, I'm sure we are musical sisters! We grew up when people bothered to make music - you know, with musicians, actual singers and people who wrote songs without borrowing the melody from other proven hits! Ooh... don't let me get started on that!

@ Rune - as usual, you so crazy!

June 16, 2006 at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home