Saturday, July 15, 2006

Essence Magazine's "Do Right Men"




























A brief disclaimer: I've got a few pals over at Essence, so Essence is alright with me.

That said, some of the reaction I've been reading online about their "Do Right Man" feature has been very interesting. I was pretty stunned at the utter disbelief of some black women, who commented right away that they didn't believe a word any of the men said - especially the famous ones. Some of the stinging comments:

"They say one thing in Essence and you see something completely different on the street. "

"He only said that because he has a movie coming out."

"Funny that they tell black women that they should be open to the garbage man, but damn if they will ever put a picture of an ugly azz garbage man in their magazine."

Now, granted, the issues of black men and women have been in the media a lot lately, but I'm sure that some of these guys are telling the truth ladies! I'll bet some of them did do it for the PR (bidnezz is bidnezz) but I think some were also sincere.

Either way, I'm a little old fashioned in this regard. I think the man should be the one doing the pursuing. The men in this issue will have their hands full with women all over the free world (I'll bet even non-black women hahaha!) listening to their sound bite and e-mailing them.

Anyway, if you don't mind competition from millions of women around the globe click on any of the pictures above or click here to check the rest of the guys out.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Rune said...

Hey, somethings not right here. Where's my picture?

July 17, 2006 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

I know you're not talking about that cell phone picture right? LOL!!

July 17, 2006 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

well i have to agree with you whole heartedly in that women should under no circumstances be chasing men..it's against the laws of nature.

the cat doesn't chase the dog!

and that's just the way it is!

July 17, 2006 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Exactly!

July 17, 2006 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

I think I will pass too-
I don't want to compete for a man- (although there is NO competition!) but I feel like when he finds ME,
I'll know. Chasing a man is NOT sexy...

July 17, 2006 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

I agree Sangindiva!

I'm with the Bible on this one. It says a man that findeth a wife findeth a good thing. Didn't say anything about emailing some dude featured in Essence! :)

July 17, 2006 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

My thing is that most of the guys that I would like are the socially-inept ones . . . the nice guys, the nerds . . . y'know, the ones with no social skills. *lol* Anyways, I share your quasi-beef with Essence. Ever since it was bought by Time Warner it has slowly started becoming Cosmo for Black Girls. *sigh* But, I'm a magazine junkie, so I still subscribe.

July 17, 2006 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hey Glib,

I wouldn't say I had a quasi-beef with Essence - I just won't be chasing a man anytime soon. I think he should chase me!

And I don't mind nice guys or nerds but socially-inept/no social skills? Wouldn't work for me. It probably means there's something wrong with him!

July 18, 2006 at 12:57 AM  
Blogger Rune said...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with my picture!

July 18, 2006 at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home