Thursday, August 24, 2006

Girl, Put Your Records On (Live!)

Here's a great New York story for you.

The day before yesterday, I was walking up Sixth Avenue in the Rockefeller Center area on my way to the bank. Even though I was on my way to the bank, my mind was on hair and as I walked, I found myself noticing different hair styles - especially natural hairstyles since I'm natural (Again. For now.) As I approach the corner of 53rd street, I see a mass of curls in front of me - smooth, chunky Shirley Temple-like (in a good way.) The light turned red so we were stopped at the corner, giving me the perfect opportunity to spy on these perfect, smooth curls (rods? fingers?) while the girl (Versace sunglasses, shopping bags on both shoulders) chatted with her friend. Then it hit me:

"Are you Corinne Bailey Rae?"


She says yes and I point to my iPod and she starts laughing. And then I gush a little: "I just love your music! I've been telling everyone about it and I've even written about it on my blog!" And then I think about telling her that and say "Don't be scared!" She starts laughing and says, "No, no thanks so much! Listen, we're playing Webster Hall tomorrow night so if you'd like to come..." I told her that I knew all about it - I just hoped it wasn't sold out yet! She and her friend (assistant? manager?) both said at the same time - "No, it's not sold out." And then, the pièce de ré·sis·tance. Corinne says, "We can put you on the guest list. What's your name?" Her pal then pulls out his wallet, takes out a slip of paper and asks me for a pen! Of course, I spell my name for him (N like Nancy, I-C-H...) Then Corinne says, "Do you want to bring someone? It's up to you. You can bring as many as you like." I immediately think three, but I didn't want to be greedy, so I say two.

How awesome is that?

I haven't been to Webster Hall in years - and I forgot to check online to see what time the show started. So, after I ran a few errands, I got a manicure and a pedicure and then I walked from the nail salon on 8th street over to 11th to remind myself where Webster
Hall was because I figured I'd have time for a quick iced coffee. I figured wrong. The show was starting at nine, but with two opening acts, Gran Bel Fisher ("I'm just a country boy from Ohio... When Corinne comes out, you guys are gonna f*ckin' flip!) and Kevin Devine ("Hey... I'm Kevin Devine from Brooklyn...) I saw a line of people waiting - and another (much shorter) line of people getting red wrist bands. I went to the red wrist band guy and told him that I was on the guest list. I was hoping that there would be no drama because I never asked Corinne's friend his name and I'd look real foolish saying, "Well, um, I just ran into her on the street..."

But there was no drama. I produced a valid I.D. and he tied the red band on my wrist. Inside the club, I walked up the steps to a woman with several guest lists and my name was on Corinne's - spelled correctly - plus two!

Damn! I love things done well...

My "Plus Two" couldn't make it, so it was just little ole' me and my fresh mani/pedi in the house. I want to apologize for the lack of great pictures. I actually
pulled the stage pictures from a Corinne fansite because my camera phone SUCKS! (Damn the LG 8300! What the hell?) Look at this mess:

The blurry white blob in the center is Corinne mid-Like A Star. I swear, even the busted LG 6000 I had before this one took better pictures. I can't figure the stupid thing out...

Anyway...

She was fabulous of course. Really amazing like I've been saying all year. And would you believe that she sounds better live? Her voice is much clearer and prettier in person. And she looked great too. In fact, I chose these pictures in particular because she was wearing the same dress last night. She started with "Call Me When You Get This" and then went into my insomniac anthem, "Trouble Sleeping" (It's late and I'm feeling so tired, havin', trouble sleeping...) I was also glad to finally hear the cover of Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Loving You" that all of the critics have been raving about in her reviews. When she picked up her guitar for "Breathless" and "Like A Star" you could hear a pin drop. This was the real thing ladies and gentlemen. Svengali producer at the controls not necessary. The crowd sang along to most of the songs - especially for her biggest hit so far "Put Your Records On." "I'd Like To" was a crowd pleaser too.

As she was playing, I kept wondering if the blonde guy on the keyboards was the same one who took down my name on 53rd street. I still can't decide.

But I have decided that Corinne Bailey Rae is cool as all get out!

Update: I got the top photo from The New York Times review of the show.


Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger BZ said...

That is awesome! I'm very much jealous and very much happy for you at the same time! Don't you love it when things just all fall in line like that for you?

August 24, 2006 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Yes I do. It was just one of those things.

Hey, I hear she'll be in Boston tomorrow night. I think she's been on tour all year!

August 24, 2006 at 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats awesome!!!!!!!! i love that cd. and its so refreshing to know there are artist who have good albums AND can perform live.

now can someone explain why mtv wont give her an unplugged performance? i bet it would be really good.

August 24, 2006 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Avin said...

OMG!! I would have fallen out on the street. Seriously I couldnt have kept my cool. I would LOVE to see her perform live.

August 24, 2006 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Rune said...

I WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 24, 2006 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Rune said...

wait...dang..it already happened

August 24, 2006 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Anonymous - MTV Unplugged is a great idea! But she may be too "grown" for MTV...

Does VH1 have unplugged performances?

Avin - You would have kept your cool - she's pretty normal.

Rune - I think her tour dates are on her Myspace page. I'll bet she'll be in or around your area soon.

Oh, and don't freak her out... :)

August 24, 2006 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Rune said...

Moi?

She'd LOVE me!

August 24, 2006 at 10:39 PM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

Awwww!!

This is great- I know both feelings,

The feeling of meeting someone REALLY cool
(and famous) on the street or in the hotel and
them hookin' you up with more than a picture!

I also know the feeling of someone meeting me
and putting them on guestlists or having the hang out
backstage for the up close and personal-
That person always remembers and you'll have a fan for life-
Just like I'm sure Corinne will have one in you!
This was wonderful!

August 25, 2006 at 4:25 AM  
Blogger Aulelia said...

she's very pretty i think and a girl from leeds too!!

August 25, 2006 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Sangin - I'll definitely remember it. I remember all of my best (by chance) NY moments! I didn't go backstage though...

Aulelia - Yep, she's from Leeds!

August 25, 2006 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

nice post.beautiful pics .
You r really very talented writer

August 26, 2006 at 2:48 AM  
Blogger Noushad said...

pics are very attractive.
It reveals ur confidence, best of luck.
pls visti my blog

August 26, 2006 at 5:22 AM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

i love it when stuff like that happens. what a great treat for you!

sweetness abound!

August 26, 2006 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger betty coltrane said...

Hello!! I really liked your space. My english is not very good, so i'm sorry if there's some mistakes!! =) I'm so jealous right now!! Not really for Corine, though she is cool, but because you have the chance of bumping in to your favorite artist in the streets at any time! That is a dream! But i think that if that happened to me, i would not be able to even move!LOL!

Another thing: Do you know how to talk portuguese? "A novelista" is a portuguese term, used mainly in Brasil, i think...

anyway, liked the space - will be back for sure! :)

Kisses from Portugal!

August 26, 2006 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hi Betty,

First of all, let me say that your English is far better than my Portuguese - which is nonexistent!

I get all kinds of questions about Anovelista (one word). I wish that I could say that I had a really sophisticated reason for using it as my trademark.

But in reality, I got the idea from the word "fashionista" (I know...)

Thanks for stopping by!

August 26, 2006 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger tuckergurl said...

OMG, I love her so so much. What a great story! She sounds super sweet which I could kind of tell. That is so funny that we were at the same place at the same time!

August 27, 2006 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

That is so funny we were in the same place at the same time! I did look around the room at one point and think, "Hmmm, I wonder who else is gonna write about this on their blog..."

I had a "VIP" pass too and I went upstairs - but I came back down because I wanted to be close to the stage. I was up there during Kevin Devine's set. And it didn't hurt that you didn't have to fight your way to the bar. :)

August 28, 2006 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Juicy77 said...

Great story! Similar thing happened to me in L.A.

August 30, 2006 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Supa said...

How fucking cool!!!!

September 5, 2006 at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home