Thursday, August 10, 2006

Hey DJ, Play A REAL Singer For Me!

I'm sorry, but I miss real singers.

I'm not going to name names 'cause I ain't one to talk about people 'cause it ain't right - but what happened?

Bona fide singers can't get any airplay - or press - unless they're in their drawers? New singers can't get signed unless they have a blonde weave or a belly ring? What the hell??

Did Phyllis Hyman see this coming? I used to think that she was just trippin' about the Pebbles' of the world taking over - but it has happened. At this rate, we'll never see another Anita Baker or Phyllis ever again.


And, I'm especially wary of the so-called real singers lately. Especially the performers who take an obscure song from the 70s or 80s - add a few lyrics - and call themselves songwriters. FYI: Real songwriters write original music and lyrics. Or original lyrics (lyricists). Or original music (composers.) With NO sampling. Got it? Good!

I'm especially missing my fellow Jersey girls Whitney Houston (Happy Belated Birthday!) and Lauryn Hill.

I swear, the minute these ladies get it together, any ticket sale record by Madonna or Barbra Steisand is out the window!

It's got
ten so bad that 90% of my playlist is "old school" - Chaka Khan, Marvin Gaye, Stevie. Not that it's a bad thing - but I'd love to enjoy something new! I can barely hear something new now without thinking "Hey, they sampled _________."

I just thought I'd put it out there...

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Rune said...

Steve Nicks?

August 11, 2006 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger themakeupgirl said...

I soooo agree girl...

August 11, 2006 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know whats sad...later on in life when i have kids, and i mean later on (lol), i wont be able to play them a lot music from my generation. my moms face lights up when an old school record comes on cause the song and sound still sounds fresh and new. almost everything now has sampled music from her day so i might as well play them that music. but since i grew up in the 80s, i can still claim the likes of luther, whitney, sade, anita (etc) so its not a total lost cause.

-alex

oh and i sincerely wish lauryn and whitney would get it together but in the meantime, i still have jill scott.

August 11, 2006 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Rune - Stevie Nicks is ok, my dad loves her. But she ain't no Whitney...



Alex - I feel you. I used to tell my youngest sister that her generation was being cheated out of real music because EVERYTHING was sampled!

And I love Jill Scott too.

August 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger girlblue said...

i totally feel ya. almost every girl singer on the charts sounds the same to me. i have been enjoying corinne bailey rae though. you should check her out.

August 12, 2006 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hahaha - thanks Girlblue.

I've certainly heard of Corinne Bailey Rae BTW. I may have blogged about her once or twice or a few hundred times by now! :)

August 12, 2006 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I can't even listen to the radio.

Last year I was volunteering with a group of 10-14 year old girls at the Hollywood Boys and Girls club. Most of the girls were Latina. Their favorite artist was not Britney Spears but Mariah Carey. Some of these girls weren't even born when "Vision of Love" came out. Young kids do want to hear real singers also. I'll be curious to see how many of today's chart topper will be around 5 or 10 years from now.

August 15, 2006 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Sangindiva said...

Well as the Sangindiva :)
I too agree, I miss real music too...
But I'm working on it :)

Great post Ms. Nichelle!

August 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

NYC/CR - I'm willing to bet that the bulk of today's chart toppers are the trivia questions of tomorrow.

And YES Miss Sangin Diva - we are all anxiously waiting your (real music!) debut!

August 15, 2006 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home