Saturday, August 26, 2006

Obama and Oprah Africa Update

That's Barack Obama and his wife Michelle Obama getting tested for HIV-AIDS inside a mobile clinic in Kisumu, Kenya. He told the cheering crowd who gathered to watch, "If a Senator from the United States and his wife can get tested, then everyone in this crowd, in this town and in this province can get tested." And yes, not surprisingly, both tested negative.

Earlier, the senator met with Kenyan president Mwai Kibaki while Michelle visited Nairobi Women's Hospital. She is pictured with Joyce Musyoka, the matron-in-charge at the hospital.

Barack also visited his ancestral home, Kogelo, where his father was born and herded goats as a child. He was greeted by his grandmother (that's Mama Sarah Obama with him) uncles, cousins - and of course the international media.

CNN's Africa correspondent Jeff Koinange has done a great job following both Barack Obama and Oprah (do I ever call her Winfrey here?) in Africa.

The school Oprah built is called The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls and she did it based on a simple request - from Nelson Mandela. Apparently in 2002, Oprah asked him what he wanted from her as a gift to the nation and he answered, "Build me a school."

That's all I'm sayin...

According to Koinange's report, The Leadership Academy is set on more than 50 acres of land just outside Johannesburg and includes not only traditional classrooms and dormitories, but a library with a fireplace and a 600-seat auditorium, where Oprah can check up on her girls via video-conferencing.

Koinange said to Oprah, "You've spent $40 million on the school so far," and she interrupted,"$40 million and counting, I think I'll stop at $50 million. You can build a good school for $50 million."

Hey, I would think so!

Here is the CNN video of Oprah surprising the 150 girls who will be attending the school in January (scroll to the bottom right side.) She only told them that they were invited to an "informal get-together" before she went back to Chicago.

Update: Just in case you're wondering: a rundown of how Senator Obama's trip was financed from Lynn Sweet's column in the Chicago Sun Times.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What were the results of the Obamas' HIV tests?

August 26, 2006 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

It's in the first paragraph - negative.

August 26, 2006 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

Hai Nichelle.
Thanks for vising my page and for those nice words.
I will always visit your page.Please visit my page also.

Good day

August 27, 2006 at 2:24 AM  
Blogger Avin said...

I love this girl. L-O-V-E it! Ms. Sophia is my homegirl and I really hope there is an Obama in 08 campaign.

August 27, 2006 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Deepak - Thanks a lot. Good day to you too!

Avin - Ms. Sophia is my homegirl too! As for Obama, his senate term isn't up until 2010, so I think he's going to do a Hillary Clinton (barring extraordinary circumstances) and at least wait until his second term is up. So maybe it's 2012 for him - but probably more like 2016.

August 27, 2006 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous primo do adamastor said...

hello. Here in Portugal Oprah was news too. Very good news in my opinion.
Well done, you have a very interesting blog right here. i will come more times (sorry for my rusty english)

August 28, 2006 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Primo do Adamastor - No need to apologize for your "rusty" English. It looks good to me.

Thanks for visiting!

August 28, 2006 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger betty coltrane said...

Hello! =)
Thanks for returning the visit! ;)
In my case, i did learn english, but i don't use it in my every day life, so my vocabulary is getting smaller... And my wrighting is getting really worst - so, i'm sorry for the mistakes...

Social intervention by public figures - very... Nice! Sometimes... In this case, yes! :)

About the glasses - it's because of the taxes that they are so expensive - the lenses are imported as "luxury goods" - and i really think that there's something very bad about that! I can not see whithout them, so how can they be a luxury?! Portugal in it's best....

Kisses!!

August 29, 2006 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger Supa said...

Great post!! Love me some BARACK.


Hey Nichelle! Blog is lookin' real fly!

September 5, 2006 at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home