Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Take Home Chef

Every now and then, I get waylaid by a reality television marathon. I purposely don't watch them first-run because for the most part, I'd rather watch TV that doesn't pretend it's not scripted. However sometimes I will be home cleaning or putzing around and I'll get sucked in (hello Real Housewives of Orange County.)

One "reality" show I will watch first-run is produced by my blog bud Ms. Ahmad - or Glam as I like to call her. It's called Celebrity Duets and it features celebrities that no one knew could sing (and to be sure, some can't sing...) I thought Jai Rodriguez from Queer Eye and Alphonso Ribiero (who promises to do the "Carlton" dance if he wins) were pretty good. The legendary songwriter/producer David Foster is a judge - which is quite a coup in my book. And so is Marie Osmond, who had the nerve to tell Hal Sparks that he was a bit "white" to sing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." Then again, Marie Osmond ought to know white when she sees it, right? Ha! The third judge is Little Richard, which needs no explanation (!)

But my favorite so far? Well, I don't know if it counts as a "reality" show, but I just love the Take Home Chef.

The chef is an Aussie named Curtis Stone and basically he ambushes some unsuspecting (lucky!) shopper in a Whole Foods supermarket - so far only in California. He stops them with an interesting offer. ("Basically, I'm a chef - an Aussie that lived in London for a while and I've written a couple of cookbooks. And I've worked in some pretty fancy restaurants around the world. So here's the offer: I'll help you shop. I'll buy the groceries and I'll help you cook an incredible meal for you and your (husband, boyfriend, kids, friend) So, what do you think?")

I think the Take Home Chef needs to come to New York Curtis! I live within 30 minutes of a Whole Foods but, unlike some of your California surprises, I don't have a car. That means you and your crew would have to take the train back to my apartment (or we can catch the bus - hey, it's your choice!) And I must warn you that I live in the 'hood, but really - you'll be alright. Hey, I'm a single woman, and I make it. My building is very international actually (Indian, African, European, Latino) and I've got a great view and a decent sized kitchen. Sadly, I don't have much in the way of furniture, but your crew can just chill on the ledge (or whatever it's called) by my bay windows. And I don't have a husband or a boyfriend yet, but I saw on one show how you cooked for a woman who was making dinner for a friend that was graduating from college. You know, the one that weasled the free bottle of Veuve out of you? I've got a lot of interesting friends and family members to choose from so trust me, it'll be an adventure!

I loved that Organic Chicken wrapped in Prosciutto you made for the girl with the curly hair. And the Tiramisu looked amazing too. Oh! And the Strawberry Flambé with Cognac? Magnifique! The obligatory bottle of wine you bring doesn't hurt either.

So, what do you say mate? Are you ready for the big city?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Oh, he's a beautiful man. Although any man that can cook that well is beautiful to me.

August 30, 2006 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Hahaha Grace...

I think he's definitely cute, but I am far more interested in his cooking!

And I agree that the beauty of man increases with culinary ability :)

August 31, 2006 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

I dont know cooking.
If I had known I would have given many dalicious dishes.

August 31, 2006 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger James Burnett said...

Damn! Cooking is all it takes to be called beautiful? Will someone please pass that message on to my wife?

August 31, 2006 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Deepak - Sounds like your heart is in the right place, so cheer up. There are always nice restaurants! :)

James - Maybe your wife will be impressed with a few new recipes. Or maybe not. Are you a good cook?

September 1, 2006 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Rune said...

Nichelle I'll cook for yoU!


You like grits?

September 1, 2006 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

thanks for the shout out on the show! we made a number one debut which is really an awesome feeling!

I haven't seen this show, but I love me some Whole Foods. although I call it Whole Paycheck cuz it sure ain't cheap!

September 2, 2006 at 2:55 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Rune - Maybe you can take some lessons from James - then cook for the girl at the 7 Eleven. LOL!!

Miss Ahmad - Congrats on the #1 debut! And, yes - I feel you on Whole Foods. I always feel like I blow my whole check there.

September 2, 2006 at 3:20 AM  
Anonymous themakeupgirl said...

I LOOVE that show!!! I just strated watching it after I found iton TLC one night. I want him to cook at my house too. He made some tasty looking salmon once...

September 5, 2006 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Rakishrune said...

So, are you saying you don't like grits?

September 5, 2006 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

TMG - I think I saw that salmon. It looked amazing!

Rune - I love grits, but I'm watching my carbs :)

September 7, 2006 at 12:00 AM  
Anonymous alex2.0 said...

now why cant this happen to me at the whole foods in atlanta? i'd sure love to get free groceries and a cooking lesson.

September 9, 2006 at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home