Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Birthday Girl Does Carnegie Hall


Yep, that's me. I'm 37 today -
but the cashier at Whole Foods guessed 25 so I'm a happy girl! Gosh, I guess I should post some pictures of myself, huh? NOT!

I have no idea what I'm doing today, but I'll figure out something. I did have a little pre-birthday fun yesterday at Carnegie Hall. My friend Donna (aka Zuri's mom) invited me to a concert at Carnegie Hall by the Sphinx Chamber Orchestra. This is not just any orchestra folks. They are a part of the Spinx Organization, which was founded in order to build diversity in classical music - primarily by increasing the participation of Blacks and Latinos.

The Sphinx Chamber Orchestra performed, along with some of their accomplished alumni, the Harlem Quartet. Ilmar Gavilan (violin) Melissa White (violin) Juan-Miguel Hernandez (viola) and Desmond Neysmith (cello), performed the Wynton Marsalis composition At the Octoroon Balls quite beautifully. Tai Murray, a 24-year-old Juilliard-trained violinist was another standout to me. My girl came out in a gorgeous peach gown and wowed the audience with a composition that could be new or hundreds of years old - I don't know - but it was beautiful: Ysaye's Sonata No. 6 for Violin Solo. Talk about a diva in training! In the words of my Grandma Annie Mae, she was sharp! I also enjoyed Juan-Miguel Hernandez (bottom picture), primarily because he was playing the viola. I played the viola as a kid, so I always listen for it in classical music. Keep your ears open for the Harlem Quartet - they'll be recording a CD in 2007. And definitely check out the Sphinx Organization's website and be sure to sign up for their mailing list for updates and catch them when they come to your town.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Happy birthday, Nichelle! :) And what a wonderful way to start your birthday celebration.

October 25, 2006 at 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Hey! It's Zuri's mom (ha ha). I am so glad that you made it to the concert! and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ya!!! (insert Stevie Wonder song here). I'm glad to know things are going well with classes and life in general. Keep grinding! Let's hang out again soon!

October 25, 2006 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous themakeupgirl said...

Happy birthday girl! My sister's birthday was 10/24 what a coinkydink!

October 25, 2006 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Grace - Thank you! It was very nice.

Donna - Let's definitely hang out again soon. Maybe a little further uptown.

TMG - LOL@ "coinkydink." I don't believe I've heard that one before. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

October 25, 2006 at 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Juicy77 said...

Happy birthday! :o)

October 26, 2006 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

October 26, 2006 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Rakishrune said...

happy b-day!!!!!!!!!!!! let me take you out for some cookies...

October 27, 2006 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks everybody! Even you Rune... :)

October 28, 2006 at 2:12 AM  
Blogger Supa said...

Happy happy HAPPY (belated)vBirthday!! Do it big!! Hell, celebrate till the rest of the year!

Here's to being 37 and looking 25! *wink*

November 1, 2006 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger SmartBlkWoman said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!

November 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Supa and Smartblkwoman: Thanks!

November 4, 2006 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Nichelle. My best friend and I will be hitting 37 next year. We've just gotten over the fact that we aren't 25 anymore. Now it is our goal to be Fabulous By Forty.

Carnegie Hall. Now that would be a great way to spend my next birthday.

Best,

November 12, 2006 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks Xoe :)

November 12, 2006 at 4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home