Friday, December 15, 2006

A Star Is Born

And I Am Telling You,” for all the defiance of its lyric and the triumphal swell of its orchestration, is thus an anthem of impotence, a proud woman’s protest in the face of humiliation and defeat. Like it or not, Effie is going. She has no choice in the matter. But it’s not often you go to the movies and see a big-boned, sexually assertive, self-confident black woman — not played for laughs or impersonated by a male comedian in drag — holding the middle of the screen. And when was the last time you saw a first-time film actress upstage an Oscar winner, a pop diva and a movie star of long standing? Ms. Hudson is not going anywhere. She has arrived.
New York Times film critic A.O. Scott in his review of Dreamgirls (emphasis mine)

Okay, who else is ready to see Dreamgirls? All I know is that if Bradley Bayou isn't on the phone with Jennifer Hudson's people to do her award show gowns I am just gonna faint!

Jennifer, look at what he did for Queen Latifah at the Globes in 2004!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

Numero Uno. . .

Doesn't Queen look spectacular in that picture? I love it. . .

And it wouldn't matter to me whether or not she was nominated by Mr. Charlie decides to give her an Oscar nod. Lately they have had black fever, so I expect it. My mother has said that we should have our own Oscar's and call them "The Jerome's". :P

She has a beautiful voice that deserves to be reckoned. My only concern is that she not fall by the wayside a la Jennifer Holliday, Kelly Price, and others who has equally beautiful voices but have the identity of, well, big boned-ded-ness.

We are all proud of her. I am unhappy on how they are depicting this as a 'she outshines Beyonce' kind of thing.

This is not a competition. Though I'm not the biggest fan of Beyonce in terms of her singing style, why does it have to always been one King/Queen of the court when it comes to black folks. All of us can shine, and the more the merrier.

I'm actually pretty excited to see Eddie Murphy, too. I think he is a wonderful dramatic actor that lost his way between being Axel Foley and movies that depicted him as being buffoonish.

Thank you for a great post.

P

December 18, 2006 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

I hope Jennifer doesn't "fall by the wayside" either. Hopefully, she will be properly marketed and well-able to strike the iron while it's hot.

I don't like the comparisons to Beyonce in the sense that many of the comparisons (online) tend to be more "I hate Beyonce" attacks. However, I will say that I don't believe most of the (mainstream) critics are interested in tearing down Beyonce. I believe that they think that Jennifer Hudson did a genuinely great job and are just giving her solid reviews to go along with it.

December 18, 2006 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger Glib Gurl said...

I also hope that JHud is able to capitalize on the Dreamgirls wave and continue to be a force to recon with in the entertainment biz. I heard that she already has a record deal; just hope they have good material for her! Damn shame about Jennifer Holliday -- after hearing her blow up AIATY on youtube.com, I decided to check out some of her "best of" collections -- and except for a few notable exceptions, most of the songs are awful. Great artist, lousy material.

December 31, 2006 at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home