Tuesday, January 16, 2007

(Not So) Smooth Operator

Sadeblackgloves1985_1

I'm talking about me - not Sade!

Generally, I don't "double-post," but I feel that I have been so neglectful of Anovelista that I'm cheating a little by using the post I did on Sade at 55 Secret Street. I want to post here more but I just haven't been able to get it together for some reason. I guess I've been in a beauty/fashion type of mood when it comes to blogging. I was going to add my Golden Globe red carpet pics here, but I just can't manage Blogger with multiple pictures for some reason. Oh well, guess that'll be on 55 too.

Anyway, I'm getting a head start on Black History Month here and at 55 in the coming weeks with several posts paying tribute to some of my favorite women (and some men) in film, music, television, fashion and other fields. Today, I wrote about Sade because today is her 48th birthday and she is one of my all-time favorite singers and style icons.

I was so struck by the now famous picture of her with the black gloves that I remember the exact date I saw it in the newspaper: March 2, 1985. I kept that clip forever! With her signature hoop earrings, bright red lipstick and sleek ponytail, she was an instant style icon. I was a teenager in the 80s and with all of the big (BIG!) hair, neon-colors and fingerless lace gloves, I used to joke that Sade was the only star I could afford to imitate! Hoops, red lipstick, white turtleneck, black slacks? I can do that! I did have to make a few adjustments though. My hair was short, so I couldn't copy her famous ponytail (this is prior to the weave revolution!) Instead, I would just slick my hair back, put on my red lipstick and hoops (with a key added as a nod to Janet Jackson) and head off to school with all of the Michael Jackson and Madonna wannabes. I may or may not have been alone with the Sade thing, but I know there were plenty of other girls that did the Janet key-on-the-earring thing!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Xoë Bennett said...

Hey Nichelle,

Yes, I absolutely did the key on an earring thing in a nod to Janet Jackson. And, I am still chasing her. Now I want to have a fabulous Janet-like bod by the time I'm 40. :-)

Sade is one of my favorites. I liked her simple, sleek style and her gorgeous voice. She's on my "must-see" list of performers.

January 16, 2007 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger Rune said...

I want to have her babies...

January 16, 2007 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Nichelle said...

Xoe - I knew that I wasn't alone with the key thing!

Rune - I know you do, hahaha

January 16, 2007 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

ah, great minds think alike.
i love sade! i've been playing her lover's rock cd since yesterday. i'm ready for her to come out with something new. i miss her! =)

January 17, 2007 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home